Sunday, August 30, 2009

Wagner Butte




August 30




I have been walking and hiking for weeks so I am ready for a challenge. My plan, along with Russ, was to take on Mt. McLaughlin. A perfect cone of a mountain rising to 9200 feet just to the northeast of Ashland.




But nature intervened and we decided to take a pass today on Mt. McLaughlin due to the heat and the exposure to the sun. The last 1000 feet of McLaughlin is mostly climbing over rocks and boulders ..not fun in the sun and heat. So instead we took off early this morning for Wagner Butte which is supposedly "easier" (Ha! 10.5 miles climbing 3,000 feet is not EASIER!). But the Wagner trip is in the trees for most of the hike so the sun and heat was never a problem. The last 100 feet or so were a bit hairy climbing over large boulders with a severe drop below. I did not look down and Russ was a very good guide. I never would have done this by myself.




I really felt a high getting to the top and the view was incredible. I can really get into this! We could see for miles, Snow covered Mt. Shasta to the south,Mt Ashland along side us and McLaughlin to the north. Russ tells me that this mountain range is and "active" range with Mt. Saint Helens being the latest one to erupt.




I am back in Ashland now and ready to take a nap..and SOOO Hungry. I just ate half a jar of peanut butter ....it was great. I would eat more but it is all gone. More adventure to come next week I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment