Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Grizzly Peak with Russ and Dallas





Tuesday August 25




I love to start my day with a 6AM conference call with a client in NYC..good for the soul. But really if this allows me to get up to Grizzly Summit without compromising my business responsibilities, then I will do it.




My call ends around 6:45 and then Russ, Dallas (his dog) and I are off for breakfast at Brothers Cafe. Dallas passes on breakfast and sleeps in the car preparing for her climb. Dallas is a older Corgi, but Russ and Erin keep her fit by hiking with her on the dozen of great trails in the nearby mountains. Her short legs work hard to get her up and back but she loves it..way to go Dallas!




The Grizzly trail starts about 20 minutes out of town in a densely wooded area, much of the trees are old growth and several hundred years old. The summit is at 6000 feet and you climb about 1500 feet from the trail head. Not too difficult to climb and since you are in the trees the climate is perfect. Only the last part of the hike is exposed and much of that caused by a fire in 2002 which was started by an arcing power line touching a tree. It burned about 3 square miles but the forest is recovering and in another hundred years you will hardly know there was a fire.




I could easily give up golf if I could hike these trails several times a week and there are dozens, if not hundreds of well maintained trails either starting in or just outside Ashland! (Well maybe I would play once a week to keep my game fresh to take some money from friends John, Dennis and Sam on our annual trip to Sandhills Nebraska). And by the way, on such a beautiful day..we saw NO ONE ELSE on the trail!!

No comments:

Post a Comment