Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday in the Park with Lord Stanley







Mention Frederick Stanley, 16th Earl of Derby, or Lord Stanley, to me and I think of Hockey. Stanley was an avid hockey fan and his sons played the game in the late 1800s. In 1892, Derby gave Canada its most treasured sports treasured national icon, besides Wayne Gretzky — the Stanley Cup.
Stanley Park also honors the 16th Earl of Derby and strolling along its beautiful sea wall or walking the tranquil paths of it's green gardens and forests one is hardly thinking about slap shots and bodies slamming into the boards with rabid fans screaming for more.
Without a doubt this is the most beautiful city park I have ever been in. Today, with sunshine beaming on us, the whole city seems alive and in the park. What a beautiful day! Tomorrow we end our week here and then on to Seattle. Although this is the fourth time for me in the city, I have a much better feel for the place having explored more neighborhoods and talking to more of the locals. This will not be my last time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment