Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Man with Bionic Knee hikes to Angels Landing!


Thursday May 28th

Allan Warshawsky, that famous Israeli explorer and financial planner wins the Moshe Wesley Powell award today for perseverance. In spite of his bad knees, Allan's gave an admirable performance hiking the five miles and thirteen hundred vertical feet to Angels Landing above Zion Canyon. What a guy!

I have been to Zion several times and the place never disappoints. Sandstone cliff rise above the canyon floor nearly 2000 feet straight up with all sorts of geological layers of different colors. We were told by the ranger driving the shuttle bus into the canyon that Zion was formed 250 million years ago. Zion has evolved in unique geological ways, creating the varied and fascinating landscape that captivates park visitors at this particular instant in geologic time.

The Virgin River is the primary sculptor in the formation of Zion Canyon. But the river has been aided by other erosional forces, creating the spectacular vistas.

Lacking a geologist guide, I decided to buy a book “Water, Rocks, and Time” and now I will become an expert on this place! Note: Two pages into the book, I can now tell my readers that Mother Nature has sculpted this deep canyon over millions of years, but only 12-15 inches every THOUSAND YEARS. therefore, I do not advise looking for any changes in the depth of the canyon if you come back to visit every few years or so.

We arrive in the park for our trek to the top of Angels Landing around mid-morning. The air is crisp with only a few puffy clouds above. This is my second trip up to Angels Landing and this time it was surprisingly easy. Perhaps all the hiking I have done lately has made me better prepared, but it was probably because last time the temperatures in the canyon were well over 90 degrees. Along the hike we meet lots of interesting people, mostly from abroad. One British couple, with three young children, was especially interesting. He had a media company that he sold and now they were taking off two years to travel the world. Wow!

At the summit the view is breathtaking (see pic) and you cannot believe how great a peanut butter and jelly sandwich can taste at the top of Angels Landing. Actually it is almond butter, and it is my “go to” food for any hike longer than three hours. Trader Joe’s brand gets my recommendation.

This trip as it unfolds is a series of “OH MY GOD” moments for our Israeli cousins. It seems we can’t go for anymore than a few minutes in the car or on a hike when those words come out of their mouths and describe another breathtaking view, or even a beautiful wildflower which all seem to be in bloom this time of year. Although I have been in most of these places several times before, it is great to experience them again through their eyes. Allan and Sheila genuinely enjoy nature and the beauty of the Southwest. This is a long way from Newark New Jersey where Sheila's dad and his sister, my mom, immigrated to from Russia in the 1920s. I wonder if they are looking down on us and experiencing an "oh my god" moment of their own!

Finished the day at Zion by joining the National Park Historical Society and dropping a few dollars on pins, sweatshirts and cards for our adopted “kids” in Mexico and India. Looking at all the “stuff” they sell in the parks, I have decided to take a more frugal path to mark my visits. I will buy a US map on the web, put it in my office and place pins in the National Parks I have visited. I think I have been to about thirty or so, but I have about forty or so to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment