Thursday, June 3, 2010

Canyonlands National Park May 29th 2010



Canyonlands National Park was not designated as such till 1964 and is not nearly as well known nor as visited as the neighboring Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce. This was my first visit to this park and I must say I am very impressed. In fact, I cant wait to come back to explore its vast wilderness areas.

Canyonlands is much larger then Zion and Bryce and offers some amazing viewing points from the road or in designated viewing areas. From high above you get a real picture of how the Colorado and Green Rivers have carved and continue to carve the steep canyons that rise above their water’s edge. I had previously travelled through Canyonlands on a raft for a few days but never could get this sense of magnitude from the river below. The rivers literally snake their way for miles, sometimes taking a near 180 degree turn before heading back in the direction of their confluence just above Lake Powell.

Put this on my bucket list: explore the more remote areas of Canyolands and camp out for a night under a starlit night.!!

No comments:

Post a Comment